Thursday, January 30, 2014

GSA Students Worry About Their Future in Utah and Support SB 100

Update: These letters have generated invitations from Senator Dabakis and Equality Utah: Freedom Brunch post and Compassionate Conversations post.

Currently in Utah, it is okay to fire or evict someone merely for being LGBTQ or just perceived as being LGBTQ. They could be model employees or residents but lose their home and right to make a living based on orientation and identity. SB 100 will change the anti-discrimination amendments to include LGBT protection. Religious institutions, small businesses with less-than 15 employees, and landlords with less than 5 units are exempt from the bill; they may continue discriminating. Link to bill at end of post.

GSA students concerned with their futures write to our local senator:

1/26/14

Senator Valentine,

I am [a member] of the Gay-Straight Alliance at American Fork High School, and I just wanted to write a letter showing my support of SB 100. This bill is so important for me and other people like me.

School has always been a top priority for me, and I've worked really hard. I graduate this year, and I look forward to going to college, moving out, getting a job, but the thought that I could be fired because I'm bisexual is very worrisome.

Like I said, this bill is important, and I really think it needs to be passed. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

(name)

_______________________________________________________________

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter in support of SB 100. Utah law already prohibits workplace and housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, or disability, and I feel that it is completely fair that sexual-orientation and gender identity are added to this list. There is no reason to discriminate against anyone, and especially not through housing and in the workplace. I do not feel that there is any reason to oppose this addition to the anti-discrimination amendments. If anything, it is a completely necessary addition.  The amendments themselves are there to prevent any sort of discrimination and because there is now a very present need for an addition, it is completely reasonable to update these amendments so that they can further protect all Utah citizens from discrimination in the workplace and housing.

As a student of American fork High School, a straight ally, and [member] of the first ever Gay-Straight Alliance of AFHS, I would love to see this addition be added for all of my friends who in the very near future have to face theses challenges. It's discouraging to think that these people I know and love can be fired and evicted merely on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identification. They are all wonderful people who deserve to have their rights protected, too. I would love to see the day when the LGBTQ+ community is truly given the equal rights that the rest of us US citizens are given, and here, an addition to the anti-discrimination amendments in the state of Utah is definitely a step in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for everything that you are doing to better our state. God bless.

Sincerely,
(name), Senior

______________________________________________________________

Senator Valentine,

My name is {   }, I'm a senior in high school, I have a solid 3.0 GPA, I'm {a member} of the first official GSA (gay - straight alliance) in the Alpine School District, and I've been openly identified as "gay" for the past three and a half years. I always knew that I was gay, no one influenced my decision, because it wasn't a decision. Now you have a decision; you have the biggest influence on passing the SB-100 bill. It's a very scary thought that if this bill isn't passed, I could lose my apartment when I get one, if I get one, and that I could potentially lose my job solely because I am gay.

Being 18, openly gay, and a very proud resident of Utah, I say, "Hear me," as well as all the others out there who fear the same thing I do. In all respect and in the best way possible, please, sign the SB-100 bill. Time will heal a bigoted heart, love for all will heal the wounds inflicted by the many years of struggle, but a decision to make it okay for employers to turn away an LGBT+ human being from a job or a place to live will never be forgotten.

All WE can hope for is that you sign the bill. Either way, you'll end up with upset people, and for that I apologize, but at the end of the day people -- whether straight, gay, or bi, lesbian, transgendered, or questioning -- are people. As I always say: When we're all dead, what's it gonna matter what our sexuality was? We're all essentially just flesh with brains and feelings. No human should fear for their future. Thank you for hearing what I have to say and have a wonderful day.

______________________________________________________________________

To read SB 100, click >> HERE.
To read State Senator Urquhart's short follow-up blog post re this bill, click >> HERE.