Wednesday, July 8, 2015

"Religious Freedom" (for Children) Reply

During another online discussion, as a response to the recent marriage equality ruling by SCOTUS , anti-gay religious people were feeling persecuted because they couldn't persecute gay people. They want their religious freedom to discriminate not just in their places of worship (you know, the place that is supposed to teach them to be Christlike) but also places of employment.

The last sacrament meeting talk I heard was over a year ago. Bro. M was teaching from Elder Oaks' sermon about how their religious freedom was being attacked. That was the last time I've been in a meeting house.

Back to the online discussion: Amongst the whining of those who don't know what REAL religious persecution is, I made the following statement.

If we are talking religious freedom, then let's go all the way: let's prohibit indoctrinating children into one, exclusive religion. Objectively present different philosophies to the children, show why you like your particular one, and then let them decide. Let them use their knowledge and intellect to choose to join or not join.

That's religious freedom.

Spoon-feeding to them what you've been spoon-fed, instilling fear to question because it was instilled in you, forcing them to be baptized and giving them the illusion it's their choice, whispering "their" testimony in their ear so they can regurgitate it into the microphone, and shaping them to think and act like the group through one-on-one worthiness interviews is not religious freedom. It's called brain-washing.

I know because I was in it. I used to say, "I'm not brain-washed, I'm spirit washed!" Then the bubble popped. All those items I dutifully "put on a shelf" I removed and took them to mormonthink.com and cesletter.com

Ahhhh. Freedom.

Image Credit: easyhealthoptions dot com
Image Credit: deviantart dot com